The pain in the back common symptom. Most people at least once in his life met. This is one of the most common reasons for a doctor's visit and a passage from the work.
Key words: back pain, back pain, spine
The back pain can occur at any age, but it is more common between 35 and 55 years old. The pain in the spine relates to how our bones, muscles, intervertebral discs, ligaments, tendons, and nerves.
The pain in the spine can be caused by problems with the vertebrae, the discs between them, the ligaments around the spine and discs, spinal cord and nerves, muscles of the back, the internal organs of the abdomen and pelvis areas. Also the cause of the pain in the upper back can cause diseases of the aorta, the tumor in the chest and inflammation of the spine.
The presence of risk factors increases the likelihood of developing or of another state. For example, obesity significantly raises the risk of diabetes of the second type.
The following factors are associated with an increased risk of occurrence of pain in the back:
- the office work;
- work, coupled to a constant stress;
- pregnancy pregnant women often suffer from pain in the spine;
- sedentary lifestyle;
- heavy physical exercise;
- a physical work.
The signs and symptoms of pain in the back
A symptom is something the patient feels then as a sign may, at the advice of a doctor. For example, pain is a symptom, while a rash is a sign.
The main symptom of the pain in the back is a pain in any part of the back. Sometimes, the pain extends to the buttocks and legs or on the shoulder, and hands.
You must contact your doctor immediately if the pain in the spine accompanied by the following signs:
- the weight loss;
- high temperature (fever);
- the pain in the back does after the stay;
- the pain, entrusts to the leg;
- the pain down below the knee;
- have a trauma of the spine;
- incontinence of urine (even a small portion);
- difficulty urinating - urine passes with difficulty;
- fecal incontinence - loss of control on the process of defecation;
- numbness in the genital area;
- numbness in the area of the anus;
- numbness in the buttocks.
Ask a specialist for advice, if you belong to one of these groups:
- persons under the age of 22 or over the age of 55;
- patients who have taken steroids for several months;
- patients with a cancer;
- patients who have once been the cancer;
- patients with a low immunity.
Causes of pain in the back
The human spine is a complex structure composed of muscles, ligaments, tendons, disks and bones. The intervertebral discs are located between each pair of vertebrae and function as shock absorbers to friction. Problems with any of these components can cause pain in the spine. In some cases, the cause of the pain fails.
The most common causes of pain in the spinal column are the following:
- stretch the muscles;
- stretched ligaments;
- the rise of a heavy object in an incorrect posture;
- the climb is too much of a heavy object;
- a result of the strong and awkward of movement;
- the spasm of the muscles.
The structural problems
The structural problems can cause pain in the spine:
- disc protrusion. The rupture of the outer sheath of the disk leads to vbuhanie internal content outside. This can lead to interference in nerve and, as a result, the pain;
- herniated disc - bulging internal, the contents of the disc of large dimensions;
- sciatica - acute and shooting pain, which radiates to the buttock and the back of the area of the lower leg caused by protruding or herniated discs, compressing nerve;
- arthritis - patients with osteoarthritis generally have problems with the joints of the hip, lumbar spine, knees and hands. In some cases, there may occur stenosis of the spinal canal, so that the space around the spinal cord narrows;
- a flexion of the spine - if the spine is curved in an unusual manner, the patient is more likely to suffer from pain in the spine. An example of anomaly of curvature is scoliosis in which the spine is curved in the direction;
- osteoporosis - bones, including the vertebrae of the spine, become brittle and porous, which leads to the improvement of their fragility.
Here are some other causes of pain in the spinal column:
- the syndrome of the cauda equina - the cauda equina is a bundle of nerve roots that branches out from the spinal cord. People with the syndrome of the tail of a horse feel a dull pain in the lumbar region of the spine and the buttocks. May also have a loss of sensitivity, buttocks, genitals, thigh. Sometimes, people with the syndrome of the tail of a horse suffering from incontinence and/or faecal matter;
- cancer of the spine - the tumor is located in the spine, can compress the nerve, leading to pain;
- infection of the spine - if the patient is observed at high temperature of the body, as well as a painful hot area on the back, it can speak of an infection of the spinal column;
- other infection - pelvic inflammatory diseases in women, as well as infections of the bladder and kidneys may also be the cause of the pain in the back;
- sleep disorders - individuals with sleep disorders more likely to experience pain in the spine compared to the general population;
- ringworm is an infection, which can affect the nerves;
- bad mattress - if the mattress does not support specific parts of the body and does not provide a smooth transition from the position of the back, there is a risk of the development of pain in the spine.
Also the cause of the pain in the spine can become some of the movements or the position of the body, such as the long pipe, the cough, etc
What to do when the back pain
If you feel pain in the spine for a few days, then the following tips will help you reduce the pain and discomfort, and speed healing:
- stay active to the extent possible;
- if needed, use the otc medication;
- use warm compresses and cold. Follow-up and a hot water bottle, and a package of frozen vegetables.
Despite the fact that it is difficult to remain optimistic when you suffer the pain, try not to get tired. This will speed up the healing process.
During the long duration of the pain in the spine, which does not pass within a period of six weeks, you should see a doctor. The doctor will be the history of the disease, will hold an inspection and, if necessary, conduct additional studies. The doctor may prescribe an x-ray in case of suspicion of a problem with the skeletal system or osteoarthrosis, CT (computed tomography) or an MRI (mri) in suspected cases of intervertebral herniation, or other problems related to soft tissue or nerves. In such a situation, the MRI is the best choice. Also the doctor may advise you to undergo certain laboratory tests or the measurement of the electrical activity of the nerves (EMG).
After the diagnosis of a doctor prescribes a treatment. For most cases, it is enough a conservative treatment, which may include:
- special exercises;
- the stretching of the vertebral column;
- the massage.
In severe cases, may be asked the question of the conduct of operations. The surgeon can help You choose an appropriate method, as well as advising of any possible complications. After a certain time after the operation recommended by the passage of a preventive treatment of the spine. Remember that the operation on the spine is very dangerous, because the exploitation of the area is in close proximity to a nerve.